Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Chains







Anderson, L.H.  (2008). Chains.  New York: Antheneum Books for Young Readers.


Isabel was the daughter of Dinah and Cuffe, a slave couple.  Her father was sold away from the family and Isabel, Ruth and their mother were owned  by Miss Mary Finch.  Her mamma had just died and it was just Isabel and her sister Ruth.  Ruth was kind of simple, didn't talk much, but Isabel was well learned.  Miss Mary had taught her how to read and they were supposed to be free when she died.  Miss Mary's nephew was the sole survivor of Miss Mary's family.  He would not believe that the girls were to go free.  He sold them to a couple who lived in New York.

New York was humming with talk of the War.  Many Americans were rebelling against King George and England in an attempt to break free of his rule. Isabel and Ruth were placed into the cellar with the potatoes. 
The trait that I chose was  “References to well-known events or people or other clues through which the reader can place the happenings in their correct historic framework.” The part that caught my attention was the plot by the Loyalists and Major Hickey to assassinate General Washington (p.89-90).  I was relieved that the attempt failed.   I felt that Ms. Anderson’s rendition of the battles that took place in New York during the Revolutionary War through the eyes of a young slave girl was very authentic.  It made me see a new side to the war that ripped the United States away from the rule of England and King George.  I was so touched by Isabel and her fight to free herself and her “brother” Curzon on their way to free her sister Ruth.  The pain she went through trying to gain that one ounce of self-preservation had me crying, steaming, angry, and hopeful.  If I could have reached through time I would have tried to help the poor girl, just like Lady Seymour did.  I am so glad that she got away and saved Curzon, too.

I would suggest this book to middle school and young adult readers because of the historical value and incidents that lead to some of the main conflicts against General Washington.

No comments:

Post a Comment