Sunday, July 1, 2012

After Tupac and D Foster

 
Woodson, J.  (2009). After Tupac and D Foster. Grand Haven, Mi: Brilliance Audio.
This was the audio book that I chose to listen to during our YA literature class.

Tupac was a gansta'.  D Foster was a girl who lived near us for a summer.  There were three of us then.  We did everything together. Me and Neeka and D.  Tupac Shakur sang songs that D could understand.  She was more in tune with him.  Then Neeka's brother gets sent to jail on a trumped up charge. 
During that summer we all turned thirteen, and things started to change for us.  Crazy things.  D wanted us to have some of the same experiences that she did and she wanted to feel like part of a family like we did.  We were bonding and then Tupac was shot.  We were surprised when he came back stronger that before.  Then he was shot again; this time he couldn't come back.  The world was all wrong.  We were still there for each other.  Then D's momma came and took her away from us.

This was the first audio book I listened to start to finish.  I decided that I am not an aural learner.  I kept falling asleep and couldn't decide where it happened.  I had to buy the book and read along with the voice.  I loved the genuine African-American lingo that emanates from the CD's.  During this class we had to listen to at least one audio book.  I had been meaning to read this book before but never found the time.  A must read for anyone who found a friend then lost them sooner than they wanted to.  It brought back times in my life when my best friends left to live somewhere else.













No comments:

Post a Comment